Almost everyone knows that at the end of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, the teenage lovers die. But what if it didn’t have to be that way? Now, in Lay Our Scene, &Sons Theatre puts the power to change the outcome in the audience’s hands. Maybe Juliet likes Rosaline better, or Romeo retreats into Verona’s sewers to become the King of Rats. “Depending on their votes, there are at least 15 different shows that the audience could end up building. The choices range from fun variations to absurd alternate realities,” says Artistic Director Ali Tallman. Lay Our Scene streams live on Twitch, and can be accessed from the &Sons website. Lay Our Scene opens at 6 p.m. on Friday, June 11; 6 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays (family-friendly performances), through June 27. Free, but donations are welcome. andsonstheatre.com
Pasatiempo's most popular online content from the past seven days
- Seeing Cuba anew: 'Foto Cuba'
- That Rossini company: Opera Southwest
- True crime in the French style
- 'Pepperland': It's a riff, not a tribute
- Never the Twain shall meet
- Paper, glue, cardboard: "La Cartonería Mexicana"
- Star Codes: Feb. 3-9
- Blurring the boundaries between classical and rock
- Mid-century modern jazz, reinterpreted for the 2020s
- Spotlight on Native cinema