Two sports cars and the garage in which they were housed burned Thursday after a west-side homeowner left a car running unattended, according to the Santa Fe County Fire Department.

The fire began just before noon, and smoke could be seen for miles around the site on Calle Nopalitos, near the Buckman Road Recycling and Transfer Station, Assistant Fire Chief Charlie Velarde said.

After leaving the cars unattended for a few minutes, the homeowner returned to find a fire had broken out, Velarde said. The homeowner tried to smother the flames with a heavy packing blanket and a fire extinguisher before calling the fire department, Velarde said.

The homeowner believed there might have been a fuel leak under the car that started the fire.

The burned cars included a 1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z and a 1962 Chevrolet Corvette that Velarde said was a show car. No injuries were reported, and the damage was confined to the garage, Velarde said.

Video footage by Robert Nott and Clyde Mueller/The New Mexican

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you for joining the conversation on Santafenewmexican.com. Please familiarize yourself with the community guidelines. Avoid personal attacks: Lively, vigorous conversation is welcomed and encouraged, insults, name-calling and other personal attacks are not. No commercial peddling: Promotions of commercial goods and services are inappropriate to the purposes of this forum and can be removed. Respect copyrights: Post citations to sources appropriate to support your arguments, but refrain from posting entire copyrighted pieces. Be yourself: Accounts suspected of using fake identities can be removed from the forum.