Firefighters on Saturday put out a small fire on the roof of Santa Fe International Hostel within minutes. No one was hurt.
The fire stopped northbound traffic on Cerrillos Road near Second Street around 1:45 p.m.
"The hostel was doing some construction on the roof and looks like some of the material started the fire," Santa Fe fire Battalion Chief Carl Crook said.
Crook said the damage was not serious.
Preston Ellsworth, founder and chairman of the hostel's board, said he was working on the roof when a spark got away from him.
"I hooked up a garden hose and was happily spraying away up there when four firetrucks and an ambulance showed up," Ellsworth said.
He said the damage was minimal, and firefighters confirmed the building was unharmed.