Five adults arrested in a raid of a compound in Taos County in August 2018 are now facing federal terrorism charges, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.
A federal grand jury in Albuquerque on Wednesday returned an indictment for the new offenses, which also include kidnapping and firearms violations, against Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40; Jany Leveille, 36; Lucas Morton, 41; Hujrah Wahhaj, 38; and Subhannah Wahhaj, 36.
The five were previously charged in an indictment Sept. 11 in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque for possession of firearms and ammunition by an alien illegally living in the United States.
Investigators have said Leveille is an illegal immigrant from Haiti, and previously presented evidence to suggest she and the four other defendants were planning to train 11 children who were rescued from the compound to carry out attacks on government institutions.
The remains of a boy, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj’s son, were also found at the Northern New Mexico compound near Amalia; he had been reported missing from his Georgia home in 2017 by his mother.
Wednesday’s indictment charges all of the defendants with conspiring from October 2017 to August 2018 to provide material support and resources, “including currency, training, weapons, and personnel, knowing and intending that they were to be used in preparation for and in carrying out attacks to kill officers and employees of the United States. …”
“The superseding indictment alleges a conspiracy to stage deadly attacks on American soil,” U.S. Attorney John C. Anderson said in a statement. “These allegations remind us of the dangers of terrorism that continue to confront our nation, and the allegation concerning the death of a young child only underscores the importance of prompt and effective intervention by law enforcement.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.