ALBUQUERQUE — New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas says coyote killing contests are illegal and anyone caught organizing one or participating could face a misdemeanor.

The warning came Friday, after authorities learned through a social media post that a contest was planned Saturday in Curry County.



Balderas’ office and the State Land Office sent letters to the sheriff, requesting an investigation. State police and local prosecutors also were notified.

Democratic Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham signed a bill outlawing the contests earlier this year.

Many ranchers and outfitters say the contests are a tool for managing packs of coyotes that threaten livestock.

Balderas said he supports ranchers’ rights to protect their livestock but said the law doesn’t allow for unlimited killing through contests for cash prizes.

Show what you're thinking about this story

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
1
0
0
0
0

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you for joining the conversation on Santafenewmexican.com. Please familiarize yourself with the community guidelines. Avoid personal attacks: Lively, vigorous conversation is welcomed and encouraged, insults, name-calling and other personal attacks are not. No commercial peddling: Promotions of commercial goods and services are inappropriate to the purposes of this forum and can be removed. Respect copyrights: Post citations to sources appropriate to support your arguments, but refrain from posting entire copyrighted pieces. Be yourself: Accounts suspected of using fake identities can be removed from the forum.