- All images and the finished document must use CMYK color modes for color ads and Greyscale for Black and White ads. No Pantone, spot color or RGB images.
- Areas of color containing 60% or more black will default to 100% black during prepress preparations. For this reason, mix colors with 59% or less black ink.
- For print ads: all files and all images contained within PDF files must be 300 dpi or greater at 100% scale.
- Photoshop files or .tif files, must be 600 dpi or greater in order to ensure that text prints sharp and crisp.
- We accept the following file types for camera-ready print ads:
- PDFs are preferred and are the optimum file type for ensuring accurate reproduction.
- Adobe CS5 Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop .tif, .eps, .psd, .ai files.
- Microsoft word (only for text)
- We do not accept Quark or Publisher files
- PSD files must have all fonts outlined. (See "do not rasterize type" under Guidelines)
- All fonts must be embedded in the PDF. When creating a PDF in Photoshop, type must be converted to outlines before sending.
- PDFs should be PDF-X/1a compliant
- PDFs Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)
- Built to exact size (see above)
- No crop marks, registration bars or other printer's marks
- With the exception of full page bleed ads, set all page boxes (media box, crop box, trim box) to the full ad size.
The following recommendations are not required but will help produce optimum print quality. These are guidelines, not specifications:
- Avoid reverse type smaller than 9 point
- Avoid reverse type on a four-color background. Instead, use 3, 2 or 1 ink colors to produce the background color.
- Use one color black instead of four color black when possible.
- Do not create type smaller than 9 point using more than 2 ink colors
- Set black type to overprint instead of knockout
- Total ink coverage 240& or less
- Do not rasterize type. This is usually done when exporting out of Photoshop. In order to avoid rasterized type, go to Layer > Type > Convert to Shape (or convert to outlines). This WILL render your type uneditable, so after you do this, save it with a different file name in case you want to change the type later.
- It is the responsibility of the designer/agency to properly prepare files for printing on newsprint with a web press. While every effort is made to ensure quality and to advise advertisers of potential problems, The Santa Fe New Mexican will not be held responsible for poor print quality as a result of non-compliance with these specifications or failure to implement these recommendations.
- To upload ads online, click here.
- Our online AdTracker allows you to upload materials, review proofs and make corrections. Your Sales Representative will provide you with an appropriate User Name and Password. For a full explanation of our online AdTracker system, click here.
- Files may be emailed directly to your advertising representative.
- site: http://ftp.sfnewmexican.com:8000
- username: dapa
- password: adverts
- FTP may require that you use an FTP application such as Transmit, Fetch, Filezilla, Coffee Cup or similar program.
EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICES:
- Memory Cards
- All ads submitted electronically must have an accompanying hard copy. Process-color ads require match-proof or customer approved color output.