Christus nurses take staffing complaint to state

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 8:30 pm | Updated: 12:38 am, Tue Jun 11, 2013.

Some patients at Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center are getting food and medications late, sitting for hours in their own waste and not being turned or walked as often as needed because the hospital is short-staffed, say union representatives who filed a complaint Monday with the state Department of Health.

Representatives of the District 1199 branch of the National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees said they have also sent a letter complaining about the staffing issues to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Have an online subscription?

Login Now

Need an online subscription?



You must login to view the full content on this page.

Thank you for reading 5 free articles on our site. You can come back at the end of your 30-day period for another 5 free articles, or you can get complete access to the online edition for $2.49 a week. If you need help, please contact our office at 505-986-3010 You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Have an online subscription?

Login Now

Need an online subscription?



Rules of Conduct

  • 1 No Alias Commenters must use their real names.
  • 2 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 3 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. and please turn off caps lock.
  • 4 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

Welcome to the discussion.


  • Mark Ordonez posted at 4:07 pm on Mon, Jun 17, 2013.

    marcoordonez Posts: 657

    I just saw another commercial on TV for Christus. I imagine this propaganda could pay for two more full time nurses.

  • MaryMagdeline posted at 8:57 am on Tue, Jun 11, 2013.

    MaryMagdeline Posts: 4

    This has gotten worse since Christus took over. An ER wait is 4 hours then to only have to wait once you get to the actual room. Was in the ER couple of years ago from 3 pm until midnight. Had to be admitted and was told they were waiting for a bed to open up. My daughter took a stroll on the floor they were going to send me and there were MANY empty beds. She was told by a now ex employee this was due to short staffing.

  • Karen Mondragon posted at 8:49 am on Tue, Jun 11, 2013.

    KDragons Posts: 2

    This hospital is a disgrace to health care. I was in the emergency room 1 1/2 years ago after falling on ice and hitting my elbow. My arm was swollen and very painful. I did get into a room very quickly and xrays taken then nothing.. There was a fire alarm and they closed my door and said they would come back when it was all cleared, did not happen - next thing we knew they started turning off the lights. Finally found a nurse and was moved to the other side of the emergency room. By this time we have been in the emergency room 5 hours, Dr finally comes in says xrays need to be taken, I told her they had already took them, she leaves and comes back 1/2 hour later and says sorry for the delay she went to wrong room and told other patient my information - my elbow is just bruised not broken, They give a sling and send me home. There was only 4 other patients in the emergency room the whole time we were there. Why so long? I found out a year later that my elbow was broken and I was suppose to see a Ortho Dr and have therapy, thanks to St. Victims my elbow did not heal correctly but lucky for me it is not impedeing my movement. I will never go to this hospital again and I warn my friends not to go there.

  • Mark Ordonez posted at 3:59 pm on Mon, Jun 10, 2013.

    marcoordonez Posts: 657

    St. Victims, living up to it's name.

  • SF_Gal posted at 11:29 am on Mon, Jun 10, 2013.

    SF_Gal Posts: 2

    This ABSOLUTELY THE TRUTH. I was in the hospital for surgery last summer. Oh. My. God. I have never seen anything like it IN MY LIFE. The nurses were LOCKED OUT of the medication safe and UNABLE to give me pain medication when I was brought from recovery to my room. I had to wait FOUR hours post-surgery to get pain medication. But oh, that was only the beginning of my horrific experience. I was supposed to be walked eight times a day post surgery. I was unable to get out of bed on my own, let alone go for a walk. How many times was I walked that first day??? ZERO. Later, my family helped me move into the chair in my room (as I was also instructed to sit as much as possible out of the bed). My family moved me because there was no nurse to move me. Later in the evening my family left for the night. This is when my hell began. I could not move myself back to the bed. So, I pushed the call button. Turns out, call button wasn't even plugged into the wall. I then spent the next two hours calling out to the hallway for a nurse to come into me. No nurse ever came. Then I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the attention of passing visitors in the hallway to ask them to go get a nurse to help me. One family member of a neighboring patient did stop and immediately summoned a nurse to come assist me. The nurse came to my room, looking harried and said she was busy and she would come back to assist me in 15 minutes. That was the last time I ever saw her. I called out for help for approximately another hour. At some point in that hour a different nurse popped into my room and assured me that she would not only help me back to my bed, she would take me on one of my eight walks that were supposed to be happening. I never saw this nurse again. Eventually, the ENTIRE EVENING passed by. The next shift started. I'm not exaggerating here. The night shift nurse eventually came into get a visual check on me - I was still sitting in my chair and I was FURIOUS. At 11:00 pm I started yelling at this woman and demanded that she A) Assist me to the restroom B) Get me some of the required fluid I was supposed to be consuming and C) Take me on a walk. This nurse also said she was going to return "in a few minutes." However, having heard this before, all day long I was having none of it. I DEMANDED SHE ATTEND TO ME IMMEDIATELY. So there I was walking the halls of St. Vincent hospital at 11:00 pm.

    My other three days in that hell hole they call a hospital were the same. My doctors dietary orders were not followed. I was never walked on the doctor mandated walks. God help me if I needed to use the restroom. Pain medication would be delayed for hours and hours and hours.

    I would not put my pet cockroach in that hospital and I told my family that should I need hospitalization to load me up in a car and drive me to Albuquerque before returning me to that terrible place.


Follow The Santa Fe New Mexican

Today’s New Mexican, July 23, 2014

To view a replica of today's printed edition of The Santa Fe New Mexican, you must be a subscriber. Get complete access to the online edition, including the print replica, at our low rate of $2.49 a week. That's about the price of a cup of coffee. Or get online and home delivery of our print edition for $3.24. Click here for details.